Blog Archive

Saturday 11 February 2012

Painting from photo. Barbados tree

Here is a photo I took on holiday in Barbados. I loved the shape of this tree. This was taken somewhere on the north coast of the island, away from all the hotels on the west coast. It's much nicer away from the tourist bits, as are most places! The East coast has some wild untouched beaches, where the waves are massive and it is too dangerous to swim.


This is my painting, based on the photo. Obviously the tree shapes are similar, but I have changed the foliage and the colours quite a lot. I also put long grass below the tree, as those big tropical leaves were too much work to paint, and drew attention away from the tree. My canvas is square, so I have not shown the whole tree. I love working on square canvas, but am wondering if this might have been better on rectangular. I can always do another version, perhaps with a different paint style or colour scheme.
Here are a couple of close ups to show the dotty blobby impressionist style that I used.  The painting was done using acrylic paint.


Here I am with the tall sugar cane......


Pretty Barbados houses....


I will do another post tomorrow about the seascape painting I did based on the East coast beaches of Barbados.

No comments:

Post a Comment